Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Experiences by Cynthia Bolton

Hey Pat,

I have memories of that funicular as well. What an adventure those trips were...... Nothing so sophisticated and extravagant could be as much fun as this was. The trips alone were great. Each time I went I was a little older and we approached the same things differently. Even though the entire place was small and did not change much year to year to year it was always magical.!!!!

The big kids ate at one table the little kids at another. Exploring the the town and the trails with the amazing butterflies and bugs was great. Another trips highlights was the funicular and the oroya. Yet another was when I went with the Oroya Youth Club. I beat Beverly Hannah and Patty Allen at swimming in (3) different races, and nobody thought that I could beat the other two. Boy ... did I show them. So what was my big winnings? Tres chocolates "Sublimes".

How about all those 28 de Julio celebrations and the kids from the town came parading with lanterns. And one more memory, what about when Gabriel was hooked on Cat Stevens "Tea for a Tillerman" and played my tape player over and over again. I'm surprised the tape did not wear out. Well anyway I know our parents had as equal or even more fun. Those days were blissful, especially looking back at them today.

I am so glad I have the memories.


No comments:

RECONNAISSANCE

Pinning down the relevant people-points,
One contact leading to three, to fifteen, seventy ...
Is less the leisurely gathering of a bouquet
Than the grasping at leaves in a gale -
At that whirlwind mosaic of scattered lives -
In an effort to connect them to an original tree
When only the ghost of it remains.
But, seeking anew the comfort of those shadow-branches,
We grace them with the qualities of our metamorphosis.
Achievement and deadwood have added their layers
To the bilingual and carefree children
Who played against the backdrop of the Andes
And knew it later for a privileged kingdom.

Lark Burns Beltran

(Sent by Wilfredo Beltran)

(In Chulec 1953-56)