Sunday, July 7, 2002

Experiences by Pat Dowd I


I was impressed at reading Sylvia's experience in Cerro, because I too lived in "la sierra", in La Oroya from 1958 till 1967. I too knew Mrs. Oxley, who by the time I started school (1963) was already Principal of La Oroya High School. She lived only 5 houses away from mine in Mayupampa (Oroya was divided into neighbourhoods, Mayupampa was one and the closest to school).
Sylvia is right when she says that our childhood's were special. I have very vivid memories of going mountain climbing, of stream hiking to find the beginning of the stream (which we never found), or go horseback riding in Casaracra on Saturdays.

I grew up with no TV, nor any need of it. I had the Mantaro (the river that crossed La Oroya) and the mountains and tons of friends to enjoy them with.

I have a special place for Christmas season memories, when Mr. Muir would come right into our house (we never locked doors) shouting "Merry Christmas to all!!" and just leave his present under our tree. And then on the week before Christmas Eve we'd all go carolling around the camp on the back of a truck at night when it got quite cold. I do regret never having been able to be part of the Bell Choir, organized by Mrs. Nuckolls (not sure of spelling).

Bonnie, there is much more I could say about Oroya, if you are interested, please e-mail me. I would like to get in touch with Sylvia, because although I didn't know her, I'm sure we must have more known people in common.

Thanks, 

Pat Dowd


2 comments:

Charles of the Andes said...

I lived in la Oroya during WWII, then returned to England. My dad worked for the FCC. At that time Chulec School was about halfway between La Oroya and Chulec not far from where we lived -about 50 yards from the river on a high bluff. The Mantaro was crystal clear then and stocked with rainbow trout. By the time Shirley Mclaine got there it was yellow from upriver pollution.I agree, our childhoods were special. We also spent quite a bit of time in Huancayo and Ancon.(Only one beach hotel at that time.)The FCC had holiday housing available for free. Just put your name on the list. Boy, I still really miss those days! Anticuchos, soroche, limas, paltas all of it! Saludos!!Charles Taylor,Ripley, TN

Paul Dixon said...

Charles, I lived in an FCC house also. There were 4 houses on the bend in the river. Two detached and two semidetached (duplex in American terms) in between. We lived in the corner house first and then moved to the other detached after Vic Samson moved over to the flats in Chulec working for CdeP. The school nearby was our school before Mayupampa School was built. It was called Amachay School and that was the name of the subdivision of houses. The FCC houses actually had their own area name which was Tyapukio. (Never seen it written so I am not sure how it is spelled).
I am wondering what your surname is. When we arrived Vic was Superintendant of the Sierra division followed later by my father, Steve Dixon, and Jeff Miller was Chief Engineer.

RECONNAISSANCE

Pinning down the relevant people-points,
One contact leading to three, to fifteen, seventy ...
Is less the leisurely gathering of a bouquet
Than the grasping at leaves in a gale -
At that whirlwind mosaic of scattered lives -
In an effort to connect them to an original tree
When only the ghost of it remains.
But, seeking anew the comfort of those shadow-branches,
We grace them with the qualities of our metamorphosis.
Achievement and deadwood have added their layers
To the bilingual and carefree children
Who played against the backdrop of the Andes
And knew it later for a privileged kingdom.

Lark Burns Beltran

(Sent by Wilfredo Beltran)

(In Chulec 1953-56)